How We Did A Comprehensive Field Survey For An Online Cab Booking App And Helped Them Tap In The Consumer Psyche, Before Launch | UrsDigitally
Ride-hailing apps are now making waves in urban transportation and India as a whole is observing a wave of frenzy around the concept. With India recording an unprecedented economic growth rate, disposable income is at an all-time high.
What the client wanted
The client wanted to map out the consumer psyche and consumer potential before launching their cab-hailing app in Kolkata. Being one of the most populated metropolitans, with a history of issues with taxi operators, Kolkata posed as the perfect backdrop for a business. Cab refusal, overcharging, and nuisance are just some of the problems which were bugging the citizens of Kolkata and that is something that needs addressing. The cab-hailing company saw it as a perfect opportunity to tap into the audience. Our job was to do a comprehensive survey to map out consumer potential.
What we did
We went overboard with the concept of compiling comprehensive research on a plethora of essentials that can give the client a good amount of insights into the market. To ascertain the same, we chalked up the following:
- Kolkata – Population Statistics – We provided a comprehensive study on the population breakup of the metropolis. We categorized the population segregation among the urban and the suburban locales
- Kolkata – Zone-wise View – We provided a comprehensive study on the various socio-economic zones across Kolkata
- Kolkata – Notable Places – Areas of Interest – We jotted down the notable places in Kolkata to segregate the notable places where the need for taxis will be at the highest
- Kolkata – Profiling Railway Stations – We provided a brief on the main railway stations which work as a lifeline to the city conveyance and the allied infrastructure that the taxi services bring in
- Kolkata – Profiling Airport – We provided a brief on the airports, where cab-hailing services are needed
- Kolkata – Income Profile – Monthly Disposable Income- this served as our focal point to ascertain the demand that the cab hailing services can have
- Kolkata – Transportation Statistics – The statistics provided insight into how the urban metropolitan mass moves about the city and the gross average spend that goes into the same
- Kolkata – Taxi Insights – A note was created to ascertain the main players in the Kolkata Taxi unions and firms. This was done to gauge the competition that the cab-hailing app will face in Kolkata
- Kolkata – Conveyance Preference- We mapped out the conveyance preference of Kolkatans
- Fare Comparison Chart – Taxi Operator – We did a comparative study on the fare structure of different players which provided the insight that the decision makers wanted to position their fare structure
- Products Offered by Competitors – A comprehensive study was done to understand the various amenities or perks that the competitors of the cab-hailing service provided. A vital element in making a product plan
The Social Connect
One of the major successes came in the shape of a social connect we were able to create with the can-hailing mass of Kolkata. A page dedicated to taxi problems in Kolkata became the hub for various communications related to the issues faced by common people with taxi refusals and other negatives. The page became a raging success with people from diverse demographic backgrounds pouring in their views about the taxi scenario in Kolkata. Our client, the cab-hailing service got real-time, responsive data about the user experience that the can hailers look for. Result? A truly seamless information structure for the client to make use of in their marketing proposition.